||Thursday, 14.30 - 16.00
||6 ECTS credits
||M.inf.607 Seminar Telematik III
||Xiaoming Fu, Fang-Chun Kuo
Please check Stud.IP for additional information and course materials.
Please check latest news in Stud.IP, where you find further course materials and easy interface for discussions (including a WiKi entry for your project progress).
The purpose of this seminar is to discuss some advanced concepts in wireless networks.
The material in the seminar, drawn mainly from the research literature, will be presented
in a bottom-up fashion. Challenges and an introduction to basic and fundamental issues (such
as Internet principles, and wireless networks basis) are presented first, to form the
foundation for further discussion. This is followed by discussions of more advanced topics
in wireless networks, location identification, and network virtualization. The objective of
the seminar is to help students build on their networking knowledge and keep them up to date
with the new technologies in the ever changing and dynamic world of wireless networking and
Requirement of Engagement
- Each participant is required to read the selected paper before the seminar and prepare the review of the paper, which should include the following parts:
- Summary of the paper
- pros and cons of the paper (your conclusion)
NOTE!! Every participant should provide the paper review BEFORE the seminar. =>
Download the form
- During the seminar, one is chosen for giving the overview of the paper. And the list of pros and cons is discussed by all the participant.
- In the end of the semester, everyone is requested to pick a paper and prepare:
- presentation (each for ~20 minutes, plus ~10 minutes discussions)
- essay (12~15 pages)
- 16.10.2008: No session
- 23.10.2008: Session 0 - Introduction
- 30.10.2008: Session 1
- 06.11.2008: Session 2
- 13.11.2008: Session 3
- 20.11.2008: Session 4
- 27.11.2008: Session 5
- 04.12.2008: Session 6
- 11.12.2008: Session 7
- 18.12.2008: Session 8
- 25.12.2008: National Holiday
- 01.01.2009: National Holiday
- 08.01.2009: Session 9, submission of slides for final presentation
- 15.01.2009: Final presentation I: Niklas Neumann, Florian Tegeler, Ralf Lubben, Daniela Skrowny, Swen Weiland
- 19.01.2009: Final presentation II: Karoline Buckow, Truong Van Chi Cong, Linda Gusky, Fabian Meyer, Mayutan Arumaithurai
- 23.01.2009: 10:15-12:00, Invited talk - Innovative Security Mechanisms for Distributed Systems
- 29.01.2009: No session
- 1. Wireless Mesh Network
- Session 1: Understanding Congestion Control in Multi-Hop Wireless Mesh Networks
, MobiCom 2008.
- Session 2: Ditto - A System for Opportunistic Caching in Multi-hop Wireless Networks
, MobiCom 2008.
- Session 3: Routing in multi-radio, multi-hop wireless mesh networks
, MobiCom 2004.
- Session 4: Assessment of urban-scale wireless networks with a small number of measurements
, MobiCom 2008.
- Related materials:
- I. F. Akyildiz, X. Wang, and W. Wang, " Wireless Mesh Networks: A Survey
", Computer Networks, in press, 2005
- K. Tan, F. Jiang, Q. Zhang, and X. Shen, "Congestion Control in Multi-Hop Wireless Networks", IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, 2006.
- 2. P2P Location Management
- 3. Data Center Networking
Paper List for Final Presentation/Report
- w2. Symbol-Level Network Coding for Wireless Mesh Networks , SIGCOMM 2008
- w3. Learning to Share: Narrowband-Friendly Wideband Networks, SIGCOMM 2008
- w8. Link Positions Matter: A Noncommutative Routing Metric for Wireless Mesh Networks, INFOCOM 2008
- w1. Measurement and Modeling of the Origins of Starvation in Congestion Controlled Mesh Networks, INFOCOM 2008 => Niklas Neumann
- w5. Interactive WiFi Connectivity For Moving Vehicles, SIGCOMM 2008 => Florian Tegeler
- w4. Predictable Performance Optimization for Wireless Network , SIGCOMM 2008 => Fabian Meyer
- w6. An Adaptive, High Performance MAC for Long-Distance Multihop Wireless Networks, MOBICOM 2008 => Karoline Buckow
- w7. A Measurement Study of Multiplicative Overhead Effects in Wireless Networks, INFOCOM 2008 => Ralf Lubben
- p1. Challenges, Design and Analysis of a Large-scale P2P-VoD System Submitted by admin on Wed , SIGCOMM 2008 =>Daniela Skrowny
- p2. ISPs and P2P systems cooperate for improved performance => Truong Van Chi Cong
- p3. Improving User and ISP Experience through ISP-aided P2P Locality => Swen Weiland
- p4. Resource and Locality Awareness in an Incentive-based P2P Live Streaming System => Linda Gusky