||Friday, 10.00 - 12.00
||4 SWS, 6 ECTS credits
||CS M.inf.607: Seminar Telematik III (Master, Kerninformatik Wahl); Bachelor Students on inquiry
||Xiaoming Fu, Fang-Chun Kuo, Jun Lei
Please check Stud.IP for additional information and course materials.
Please check latest news in Stud.IP, where you find further course materials and easy interface for discussions (including a WiKi entry for your project progress).
The purpose of this seminar is to discuss some advanced concepts in
wireless and mobile networks. The material in the seminar, drawn mainly
from the research literature, will be presented in a bottom-up fashion.
Challenges and an introduction to basic and fundamental issues (such as
Internet principles, mobile networking and wireless networks basis) are
presented first, to form the foundation for further discussion. This is
followed by discussions of more advanced topics in mobile wireless
networks, including wireless mesh network, vehicular/mobile networks and delay tolerant and opportunistic networks.
Requirement of Engagement
- Each participant is required to read the selected paper before the
seminar and prepare the review of the paper, which should include the
- Summary of the paper
- pros and cons of the paper (your conclusion)
NOTE!! Every participant should provide the paper review BEFORE the seminar. =>
Download the form
- During the seminar, one is chosen for giving the overview of
the paper. And the list of pros and cons is discussed by all the
- In the end of the semester, everyone is requested to pick a paper and prepare:
- presentation (each for ~20 minutes, plus ~10 minutes discussions)
- essay (12~15 pages)
- 17.04 Introduction of the lecture
- 24.04 session 1
- 01.05 public holiday
- 08.05 session 2
- 15.05 session 3
- 22.05 session 4
- 29.05 session 5
- 05.06 session 6
- 12.06 session 7: paper selection for final presentations
- 19.06 session 8
- 26.06 session 9
- 03.07 session 10: submission of slides for final presentations
- 10.07 Final presentation I
- 17.07 Final presentation II
Session Reading List
- Mobility and Routing
- Session 1: Scalable Routing A Scalable Routing System Design for Future Internet, ACM SIGCOMM workshop in IPv6, Aug. 2007, Daniel Massey, Lan Wang, Beichuan Zhang, Lixia Zhang
- Session 2: Virtual IDVirtual Id Routing, MobiArch'08, Aug. 2008, G.-H. Lu, S. Jain, S. Chen and Z.-L. Zhang
- Wireless Mesh Network
- Session 3: Fairness/Congestion Control Measurement and Modeling of the Origins of Starvation in Congestion Controlled Mesh Networks, IEEE INFOCOM 2008, J. Shi, O. Gurewitz, V. Mancuso, J. Camp, and E. Knightly
- Session 4: MeasurementAnalysis of a mixed-use urban wifi network: when metropolitan becomes neapolitan , ACM IMC'08, Mikhail Afanasyev , Tsuwei Chen , Geoffrey M. Voelker , Alex C. Snoeren
- Session 5: SecurityDARWIN: Distributed and Adaptive Reputation mechanism for Wireless ad-hoc Networks, ACM MobiCom'07, Juan Jose Jaramillo and R. Srikant
- Vehicular/Mobile Networks
- Session 6: Handoff Algorithm Supporting Vehicular Mobility in Urban Multi-hop Wireless Networks, ACM MobiSys 2008, A. Giannoulis, M. Fiore, and E. Knightly,
- session 7: Deployment issue Relays, Base Stations, and Meshes: Enhancing Mobile Networks with Infrastructure, MobiCom'08, Nilanjan Banerjee, Mark D. Corner, Don Towsley, and Brian Neil Levine
- Session 8: Content DeliveryCabernet: Vehicular Content Delivery Using WiFi, MobiCom'08, Jakob Eriksson, Hari Balakrishnan, Samuel Madden
- Delay Tolerant and Opportunistic Networks (mainly focus on "pocket switched networks (PSNs)")
- Mobility and Routing
- Towards A New Internet Routing Architecture: Arguments forSeparating Edges from Transit Core, ACM Worshop HotNets, Oct. 2008, Dan Jen et al.
- A Survey on Wireless Mesh Networks,
APT: A Practical Tunneling Architecture for Routing Scalability, D.
Jen, M Meisel, D. Massey, et al, Technical Report 080004, UCLA, 2008.
- Naming, Addressing, and Forwarding Reconsidered, August, 2005, S. Keshav
- Evaluating the benefits of Locator/ID separation,Mobiarch 2007, B. Quoitin, L. Iannone, C. de Launois and O. Bonaventure.
- Wireless Mesh Network
- Mesh networks: commodity multihop ad hoc networks, IEEE Communications Magazine 2005, R. Bruno, M. Conti and E. Gregori
- A Survey on Wireless Mesh Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine 2005, I.F. Akyildiz and X. Wang
- Extended Service Set Mesh Networking Standard, IEEE Communications Magazine, 2008, J. Camp and E. Knightly
- Hardware and Software Solutions for Wireless Mesh Network Testbeds, IEEE Communication Magazine 2008, R. Riggio, N. Scalabrino, D. Miorandi, F. Granelli, Y. Fang, E. Gregori, I. Chlamtac
- Delay Tolerant and Opportunistic Networks
Paper List for Final Presentation/Report
The list will be provided before 05.06 (session 6).